There’s nothing like filling your lungs with a big gulp of fresh air. But for many, breathing easy doesn’t come so, well, easily – especially during springtime.
Pollen, mold, and the changing weather create the perfect storm for poor air quality. And if you have environmental allergies or breathing conditions, like asthma, it can be even more challenging.
So, what are some ways you can keep your lungs in tip-top shape? Here are three important considerations:
1. Increase Your Lung Capacity
Did you know that, as we age, our lung capacity slowly decreases? This leads to shortness of breath and difficulty breathing. Fortunately, you can counter this with these lung-expanding exercises:
- Pursed-lip breathing. This technique is great for beginners! The goal is to slow down your breathing and keep your airways open for longer. All you do is inhale slowly through your nose, purse your lips, and breathe out as slowly as you can. It should take twice as long to exhale as it does to inhale.
- Belly breathing, AKA diaphragmatic breathing. To do this, place one hand on your chest and the other on your belly. When you inhale, you should feel your stomach rise. Then, exhale for a couple of seconds through pursed lips and feel your belly lower as you breathe out.
These exercises will go a long way in keeping your lungs healthy and getting your body the oxygen it needs!
2. Strengthen Your Lungs Through Nutrition
What you eat has a direct impact on your lung health. Amazing, isn’t it?! When looking to support your lungs, consider avoiding super-processed foods, such as deli meats, fried foods, and carbonated drinks.
Instead, load up on delicious, nutrient-packed choices, like:
- Green tea
Another excellent choice is diaphoretic (sweat-inducing) herbs. These have traditionally been used to treat infections, beat fevers, and help with lung health during a cold. Herbs like cayenne, garlic, ginger, and elderflower can be mixed in with warm water and consumed to keep your lungs in tip-top shape.
3. Choose the Right Lung Supplements
If drinking herb-infused water isn’t your thing, you may want to try out a lung health-boosting supplement. Here are a couple we recommend:
- PulmaCo. This blend is chock-full of powerful herbs, like Ginkgo and Turmeric, that help your respiratory system flourish, especially when breathing becomes difficult.
- Broncafect. You can probably guess by its name that this immune-supporting formula supports your airways and cough reflex. It contains licorice, echinacea, ginger, and other plants and herbs that can help resolve acute lung challenges.
And as a bonus, these two supplements also contain those diaphoretic herbs that do wonders for your lungs!
How Can We Help You Breathe Easier?
While you can’t control Mother Nature or solve poor air quality overnight, there are steps you can take to strengthen your lung health.
We’re here to help support your health and help you breathe easier – no matter what time of year. Try out one of the above tips or give our office a call to see how we can help you breathe freely once again.