One of summertime’s best perks is the ability to enjoy a wide array of seasonal fruits like watermelon, pears, apricots, and nectarines. But the one summer fruit that stands out above the rest for its juicy and sweet interior is the delicious peach!
According to the most recent nutritional data, peaches pack a powerful punch delivering health-enhancing nutrients to our bodies. They are a rich source of potassium, beta-carotene, and vitamins B and C. They are also a good source of fat-soluble vitamins A, E, and K. Minerals are not a secret either – peaches contain calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, zinc and copper.
It gets better! Peaches are rich in carotenoids and other phytochemicals which can help with a wide variety of health conditions including:
- Prevention of breast, colon and lung cancer
- Protection against UV-B radiation, skin damage, spots, dark circles and redness
- Blood sugar management due to high fiber content and low glycemic index of 26-55
- Decrease of LDL and increase of HDL
- Prevention of cataracts, macular degeneration and blindness
- Muscle strength, proper nerve signaling and normal heartbeat
- Antioxidant protection and cellular health
- Normal fetal growth and iron absorption during pregnancy
- Prevention of constipation, hemorrhoids, stomach ulcers, gastritis and irregular bowel movements due to their high fiber content and laxative properties
- Helps calm an overactive nervous system and hyperexcitability in children due to an abundance of magnesium
- Helps reduce obesity due to the phenolic compounds that have anti-inflammatory and anti-obesity properties
- Improves immune function and reduction of the common cold, pneumonia, malaria and diarrhea by providing vitamin C and zinc
- Increases production of testosterone in men
- Maintenance of strong bones and teeth by way of phosphorus and calcium that can help strengthen connective tissue and ligaments
- Helps flush out harmful toxins from the liver and kidneys
- Alzheimer’s disease and other neurotransmitter dysfunctions
It’s pretty easy to find ways to consume peaches on a regular basis. Eat them raw or get creative and add them to a spinach salad with nuts, mozzarella, salmon and balsamic dressing! Include peaches in your morning smoothie and turn an ordinary smoothie into a delicious experience. Or you can use them in summertime desserts such as Paleo Peach Cobbler. Even dehydrated peaches can be a great snack when you have to head out the door in a hurry.
These sweet summertime fruits should make their way into our diet every day. A well-kept secret that deserves more attention and credit, peaches might just be the Queen of Summertime Fruits!
“A peach a day helps keep the doctor away!”