2 Tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
1 medium onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 bell pepper, any color, chopped
Sea salt and black pepper
1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, optional
4 oz. pepperoni
2 cups chicken or beef bone broth
2 cups pizza sauce, or your favorite marinara sauce
14 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast, optional for cheesy flavor
¼ cup sliced black olives
Chopped parsley or basil for garnish
1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Crumble the sausage into the pot and cook, breaking up the lumps and stirring until browned. Use a slotted spoon to remove and place on a plate. Set aside.
2. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the onions. Cook until fragrant and soft, about 3-5 minutes. Add in the garlic, mushrooms, peppers, pepperoni, and sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning, and red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the bone broth, pizza sauce, tomatoes, and nutritional yeast, stir, and bring to a simmer. Add in the olives and return the sausage to the pot. Allow the soup to continue to simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Using a ladle, remove from pot and fill individual serving bowls. Garnish with fresh chopped basil or parsley if desired.
5. The soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for 3-4 weeks. Enjoy!
Inspired by Paleo Running Momma