For the cherry filling:
2 lbs. pitted and halved cherries (about 5-6 cups)
3 Tbsp. grass-fed butter, ghee, or coconut oil
1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
1/3 cup coconut sugar
1 Tbsp. arrowroot starch
For the crisp topping:
¾ cup blanched almond flour
1 cup raw almonds*
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ cup coconut sugar
4 Tbsp. grass-fed butter, ghee, or coconut oil
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat an 11 or 12 inch cast iron skillet (or other oven-proof skillet), to medium-high heat on the stovetop.
- Once hot, add the 3 Tbsp. of butter, oil or ghee. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the butter is bubbly and lightly browned. Now toss in the cherries. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir the cherries for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add in vanilla extract, sugar, and arrowroot starch. Stir gently.
- Make the topping by placing the almonds, almond flour, shredded coconut, coconut sugar, butter, cinnamon, and sea salt into a food processor. Pulse for just a bit, or until the mixture is crumbly. Pour topping on top of the cherries in the skillet, and evenly distribute among the top.
- Transfer skillet to the oven. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until topping is golden and cherries are bubbly. Remove from oven.
- Let cool for a bit, and serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!
*Can use pecans and walnuts in place of almonds. Or any combination of those 3.
Inspired by: https://www.wholesomelicious.com/skillet-cherry-crisp-paleo/#wprm-recipe-container-10691